Today was the day that a new president was installed as leader of the United States -- a country far far away from me, but very close to where my cousins Reilly and Chloe live in Canada. Mum tells me it's a very significant day, for a number of reasons -- not least of which because he is African American, and a black man has never been president there before.
Anyway, to celebrate the arrival of US President Barack Obama at the White House, we caught up with a few friends for a little party. We were invited to Manika and Alia's house for hot dogs, potato salad and chocolate cake; oh, and Mum even had a small glass of champagne. Also there were Zoe and her son Evan. It was really exciting being at someone else's house, because there were new toys for me to play with -- and Alia really does have some fantastic toys! I got into everything, really; Alia isn't crawling yet as she is a bit younger than me, so her Mum and Dad haven't done the baby-proofing thing. I took it upon myself to show them the sorts of things that they will have to put out of reach of us babies; I ate some dirt out of a pot plant, almost broke a nice plate and grabbed some lovely tea cups off a shelf, too. Unfortunately Mum was around to thwart my attempts at really destroying things, but I had a lot of fun anyway!
I promised in my last post that I would tell you about Mum and Dad's vegie patch. They planted it way back in September/October, but we've really been reaping the benefits of it in the last few weeks. The garden has beans, spring onions, leeks, tomatoes, chives, chillies, basil, oregano, mint, parsley, rocket, lettuce, spinach, pumpkin and cucumber. Some foods have already finished cropping and gone to seed -- some of the lettuce, the rocket and spinach, for example -- and some others are yet to actually produce -- the pumpkin springs to mind. But there has been heaps of good fresh vegies coming out of the dirt and into the kitchen, that's for sure. Mum and Dad had lots and lots of fresh beans (still do!), and Mum has made many bean salads as a result. There has also been a fair whack of fresh basil pesto whizzed up in the kitchen -- Mum gave some to my Aunty Kerrie when she was here visiting on Monday with my cousins Ella, Jack and Lily. She also made some for my Uncle Dan, who babysitted me about a week ago with Laurence. They loved the pesto too and want some more, but Mum said she would only make it for them if they look after me again!!
Mum and Dad have recently started harvesting tomatoes, and they taste great. Well, they tell me they do; I haven't actually had one yet myself. There are lovely red tomatoes, and mini yellow ones, too. I'm so proud of them both for starting their organic vegie patch!!
No comments:
Post a Comment