Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Melbourne Cup and Carson's Wedding

The Race that Stops a Nation 

Just over a week ago was the famous horse race, the Melbourne Cup. It's always held on the first Tuesday of November, and they say it's the race that "stops a nation", because most people watch it either live at the track at Flemington, or on the TV. Anyway, Mum invited the Mum's group ladies, their bubs and partners over to our house for afternoon tea, champagne and to watch the race. 
Everyone had a lovely time, I'm told, but I slept through the whole afternoon! I was still suffering from a cold, you see, so I was a bit tired. I missed the race, but Mum says I backed the second place-getter, Bauer, in the sweep.  I woke up just as everyone was going home!

Carson's Wedding

Last weekend was really busy, and really tiring. It started on Friday, when we left Canberra and drove to Nan and Pa's. We stayed with them for the night, then on Saturday drove to Echuca, which is on the Murray River in Victoria. We went there for Mum's friend Carson's wedding; they grew up together, and he is like another brother to her. He's also really close to the rest of Mum's family -- Nan and Pa were at the wedding, as well as my Uncle Matt, Aunty Jane and cousin James. And my Uncle Paul was invited, too, but it was a bit hard for him to get there from Canada. 
Anyway, we arrived in Echuca around lunchtime, and met up with mum's friend Carla for lunch. Carla and Carson are cousins, by the way, but Carla and her gorgeous daughter Charlotte (my girlfriend!) were just going to the ceremony, not the reception. Carla's parents were also in town for the wedding, and they came for lunch, too, along with Nan and Pa and Jane and James. Uncle Matt was busy on best man duties.
The wedding was later that afternoon, and I slept through the first part of the ceremony, but Mum tells me it was really lovely. I was meant to hang out at the party for an hour or so after that, then go back to Carla and Charlotte's place and stay with them so that Mum and Dad could enjoy themselves. But that wasn't really what I wanted, so Mum and Dad only got about an hour to themselves before I made them come back and pick me up. I really like Carla and Charlotte, but I just wanted Mum and Dad that night. 
Anyway, the next day we met for brunch with lots of people from the wedding, and spent much of the day hanging out with Mum's friends and family. We even caught up with Mum's Aunty Marie, who lives in Echuca. I hadn't met her before, and she seems really nice. 

Mum wanted to take Dad and I on a paddle steamer -- Echuca is famous for
 them -- but Dad reckoned I
will enjoy it more when I'm older, so we just went down by the river and looked at them instead. We wandered around the old Port area, too, and checked out the shops and things. My favourite part of the day, though, was eating my first ice cream in a cone! Mum bought one with chocolate and passionfruit flavours, and, well, I ate most of the passionfruit part of it. It was really yummy!!
We drove back to Nan and Pa's on Sunday afternoon and stayed another night there, before heading home to Canberra on Monday -- but not before I could have my first ride on Pa's John Deere tractor/front end loader! It's 
a favourite toy among all my cousins; I just wish I had one of my own!

1 comment:

The Tinkler Family said...

Wow Finn!!! Bet you slept well Monday night back at home! James told me to tell you he had lots of fun playing with you and Charlotte at the wedding and he also said he loves the tractor too. He can't wait to be at the farm at the same time so you can give each other rides in the trailer!